In safety rooms, padding shall cover the entire floor, door, walls and everything on the walls to a clear height of 8 feet (2438 mm). Benches or platforms are not to be placed on the floor of this room.
All padded rooms must be equipped with a tamper-resistant fire sprinkler as approved by the State Fire Marshal. All padding must be:
- Approved for use by the State Fire Marshal;
- Nonporous to facilitate cleaning;
- At least 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) thick;
- Of a unitary or laminated construction to prevent its destruction by teeth, hand tearing or small metal objects;
- Firmly bonded to all padded surfaces to prevent tearing or ripping; and,
- Without any exposed seams susceptible to tearing or ripping.