// CODE SNIPPET
E.6 Outside Gas Cut-Off
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Outside gas cut-off shall comply with the following:
- An outside gas service line valve or other outside emergency shutoff device or other means acceptable to the commissioner and the Fire Commissioner shall be installed in every gas service pipe outside the building. If buried, such valve, device or method shall be readily accessible from grade. Every existing service which is being replaced or refurbished shall be provided with such valve, device or means, but in any event, all existing gas services shall be provided with such valve, device or method by January 1, 2010. However, in R-3 occupancy the completion date shall be January 1, 2020. The utility company shall provide the Fire Department with suitable tools for operation of such emergency shutoff valves, devices or means. The number of such tools required for supplying Fire Department units shall be determined by the Fire Department. On or before January 31, of each year, the utility company shall report to the department and the Fire Department the actual number of emergency shutoff valves installed for the preceding year.
- If the outside gas service line valve, emergency shutoff device or means is located below ground, it shall be installed in a protective housing, and a cover, easily identifiable shall be provided for the housing. The cover shall be flush with the surface of the ground and kept clear at all times so as to be accessible for immediate use.
- The valve or emergency shutoff device shall be capable of being readily operated by removing the cover of the housing and inserting a portable key or other device over the operating end of the valve or emergency shutoff device.
- If the outside gas service line valve is located above ground, it shall be suitably protected to prevent accidental vehicular impact and must be installed in accordance with provisions of 16 NYCRR Part 255.
- Where a gas-fired generator provides required emergency power in accordance with the New York City Building Code such generator shall have an outside gas cut-off valve that is separate from other gas services to the buildings. Such valves shall be identified by signage.