// CODE SNIPPET
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Cooling towers shall be constructed of noncombustible materials.
- Fill and drift eliminators of limited combustible materials may be considered noncombustible if the cooling towers are provided with automatic sprinkler protection in compliance with Chapter 9 of the New York City Building Code.
- Fill and drift eliminators may be made of limited combustible materials provided all the following conditions are met:
- The cooling tower is located on a building of construction Types IA or IB of the New York City Building Code.
- The cooling tower, fill and drift eliminators are located at least 30 feet (9144 mm) away from windows or fresh air intakes which are at an elevation above the roof on which the cooling tower is located, whether in the same building or in an adjoining building.
- The cooling tower is located not less than 15 feet (4572 mm) from the lot line.
- The cooling tower is located not less than 10 feet (3048 mm) from any chimney, except that the distance shall not be less than 20 feet (6096 mm) from a chimney venting products of combustion other than from gas- or oil-fired appliances, whether on the same or an adjoining building.