// CODE SNIPPET
3404.2.13.2.3 Out of Service for 1 Year
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Except as otherwise provided in FC3404.2.13.2.1, aboveground tanks that have been out of service for a period of 1 year or more shall be removed from the premises or sealed in place in compliance with the following requirements:
- Flammable and combustible liquids shall be removed from the tank and connected piping.
- The tank and connecting piping shall be rendered free of flammable and combustible vapors using an inert gas.
- The tank shall be disconnected from system piping and removed from the premises, or filled completely with an approved, inert solid material, and sealed in place.
- All system piping, including fire extinguishing system lines, fill line, gauge opening, and vapor return and pump connection, shall be disconnected from the tank and removed from the premises, or sealed in place and secured from tampering. Unless other methods are approved, the fill connection shall be cut from the fill piping and removed; the fill piping shall be capped or plugged; and the spill containment box shall be removed.
- Tank openings shall be capped and plugged, leaving a 0.125-inch to 0.25-inch-diameter (3.2-mm to 6.4-mm-diameter) opening for pressure equalization, when tanks are removed from the premises.
- The tank shall be protected from flotation in accordance with good engineering practice.
- The tank shall be stenciled with the date that it was sealed in place.