The exposed roof deck on the underside of unenclosed roof eaves shall consist of one of the following:
- Noncombustible material.
- Ignition-resistant material.
- One layer of 5/8-inch Type X gypsum sheathing applied behind an exterior covering on the underside exterior of the roof deck.
- The exterior portion of a 1-hour fire resistive exterior wall assembly applied to the underside of the roof deck designed for exterior fire exposure including assemblies using the gypsum panel and sheathing products listed in the Gypsum Association Fire Resistance Design Manual.
Exceptions: The following materials do not require protection:
- Solid wood rafter tails on the exposed underside of open roof eaves having a minimum nominal dimension of 2 inch (50.8 mm).
- Solid wood blocking installed between rafter tails on the exposed underside of open roof eaves having a minimum nominal dimension of 2 inch (50.8 mm).
- Gable end overhangs and roof assembly projections beyond an exterior wall other than at the lower end of the rafter tails.
- Fascia and other architectural trim boards.