// CODE SNIPPET
F 302.0 Open Ground Water Systems
Go To Full Code Chapter
F 302.1 General
F 302.2 Open-Loop Water Well Drilling Logs
The water well drilling logs shall include the following:
- The subsurface stratigraphy.
- The aquifer type and conditions such as, but not limited to, confined, unconfined, flowing and depth.
- The drilling method used and the penetration speed.
- The presence of substances known to have a potential risk to health and safety shall be documented in the drill logs and the property owner shall be advised of the potential risk to health and safety.
F 302.3 Design Considerations
A groundwater heat pump system shall be designed by a registered design professional. Due design consideration shall be given to the following:
- Where multiple heat pumps or fan coils are connected to a common water loop, a diversified building design load shall be used to design a ground water heat pump.
- The water supply well(s) and injection wells, or water discharge system, shall be capable of being operated at sustainable pumping rates that exceed the maximum daily requirements without causing an adverse impact to existing or future offsite uses of groundwater or surface water bodies.
- The water temperature and the quality and chemical composition of the water resource are in accordance with the system manufacturer's recommendations.
- The groundwater and surface water resources shall be protected by returning water to the source aquifer or an aquifer with the same water quality, or a surface water body.
- The return capacity of the injection, or surface water body discharge system, shall be suitable under winter conditions.
- The temperature of the return water shall have no adverse thermal impacts on offsite existing or future uses of groundwater, or on surface water bodies, in accordance with the requirements of the Authority Having Jurisdiction.
- Pressure gauges shall be provided to aid in start-up and monitoring of the system during operation.
- The ability to switch over operation of supply and return wells for 100 percent standby, redevelopment, cleaning of wells, and the thermal balancing of the ground and aquifer shall be provided.
- There shall be no adverse effects on the quality and quantity of offsite existing or future users of groundwater, in accordance with the requirements of the Authority Having Jurisdiction.
F 302.4 Water Wells and Injection Wells
Water wells and injection wells for groundwater heat pump systems shall be installed and tested by a registered design professional who is qualified to drill wells that comply with the requirements of the Authority Having Jurisdiction.
Water supply wells and injection wells shall be developed in accordance with NGWA-01.
F 302.5 Testing and Sampling
Related Code Sections
F 302.0 Geothermal Energy Systems Part I — General, Open Ground Water Systems
to a common water loop, a diversified building design load shall be used to design a ground water heat pump. The water supply well(s) and injection wells ...
F 302.6 Geothermal Energy Systems Part I — General, Disinfection
Water wells shall be disinfected upon completion in accordance with the requirements of the Authority Having Jurisdiction and NGWA-01 ...
F 102.0 Geothermal Energy Systems Part I — General, Definitions
Geothermal Energy System, Open-Loop. A liquid-source heat pump system that uses ground water or surface water to extract or reject heat. Ground-Heat ...
(2) Communications Systems, In Buildings or Structures With Grounding Means
to the nearest accessible location on the following: The building or structure grounding electrode system as covered in 250.50 The grounded ...
F 301.0 Geothermal Energy Systems Part I — General, General
) or surface water open-loop using water-based fluid as a heat transfer medium. The regulations of this appendix shall govern the construction, location ...