Open-flame decorative devices shall comply with all of the following restrictions:
- Class I and Class II liquids and LP-gas shall not be used.
- Liquid- or solid-fueled lighting devices containing more than 8 ounces (237 ml) of fuel must self-extinguish and not leak fuel at a rate of more than 0.25 teaspoon per minute (1.26 ml per minute) if tipped over.
- The device or holder shall be constructed to prevent the spillage of liquid fuel or wax at the rate of more than 0.25 teaspoon per minute (1.26 ml per minute) when the device or holder is not in an upright position.
- The flame shall be enclosed except where openings on the side are not more than 0.375-inch (9.5 mm) diameter or where openings are on the top and the distance to the top is such that a piece of tissue paper placed on the top will not ignite in 10 seconds.
- Fuel canisters shall be safely sealed for storage.
- Storage and handling of combustible liquids shall be in accordance with Chapter 57.
- Shades, where used, shall be made of noncombustible materials and securely attached to the open-flame device holder or chimney.
- Candelabras with flame-lighted candles shall be securely fastened in place to prevent overturning, and shall be located away from occupants using the area and away from possible contact with drapes, curtains or other combustibles.