C405.2.1 Occupant Sensor Controls
Occupant sensor controls shall be installed to control lights in the following space types:
- Classrooms/lecture/training rooms.
- Conference/meeting/multipurpose rooms.
- Copy/print rooms.
- Enclosed offices.
- Open plan office areas.
- Storage rooms.
- Locker rooms.
- Other spaces 300 square feet (28 m2) or less that are enclosed by floor-to-ceiling height partitions.
- Warehouse storage areas.
Occupant sensor controls in warehouses shall comply with Section C405.2.1.2. Occupant sensor controls in open plan office areas shall comply with Section C405.2.1.3. Occupant sensor controls for all other spaces specified in Section C405.2.1 shall comply with the following:
- They shall automatically turn off lights within 20 minutes after all occupants have left the space.
- They shall incorporate a manual control to allow occupants to turn off lights.
Occupant sensor controls in open plan office spaces less than 300 square feet (28 m2) in area shall comply with Section C405.2.1.1. Occupant sensor controls in all other open plan office spaces shall comply with all of the following:
- The controls shall be configured so that general lighting can be controlled separately in control zones with floor areas not greater than 600 square feet (55 m2) within the open plan office space.
- The controls shall automatically turn off general lighting in all control zones within 20 minutes after all occupants have left the open plan office space.
- The controls shall be configured so that general lighting power in each control zone is reduced by not less than 80 percent of the full zone general lighting power in a reasonably uniform illumination pattern within 20 minutes of all occupants leaving that control zone. Control functions that switch control zone lights completely off when the zone is vacant meet this requirement.
- The controls shall be configured such that any daylight responsive control will activate open plan office space general lighting or control zone general lighting only when occupancy for the same area is detected.