In other than Group I-2, I-2.1, I-3, and R-2.1 occupancies, floor openings containing exit access stairways or ramps that do not comply with one of the conditions listed in this section shall be enclosed with a shaft enclosure constructed in accordance with Section 713.
- Exit access stairways and ramps that serve or atmospherically communicate between only two stories. Such interconnected stories shall not be open to other stories.
- In Group R-1, R-2, R-2.1, R-3 or R-3.1 occupancies, exit access stairways and ramps connecting four stories or less serving and contained within an individual dwelling unit or sleeping unit or live/work unit.
- Exit access stairways serving and contained within a Group R-3 congregate residence or a Group R-4 facility are not required to be enclosed.
- Exit access stairways and ramps in buildings equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1, where the area of the vertical opening between stories does not exceed twice the horizontal projected area of the stairway or ramp and the opening is protected by a draft curtain and closely spaced sprinklers in accordance with NFPA 13. In other than Group B and M occupancies, this provision is limited to openings that do not connect more than four stories.
- Exit access stairways and ramps within an atrium complying with the provisions of Section 404.
- Exit access stairways and ramps in open parking garages that serve only the parking garage.
- Exit access stairways and ramps serving open-air seating complying with the exit access travel distance requirements of Section 1029.7.
- Exit access stairways and ramps serving the balcony, gallery or press box and the main assembly floor in occupancies such as theaters, places of religious worship, auditoriums and sports facilities.
- Fixed-guideway transit stations, constructed in accordance with Section 443.