// CODE SNIPPET
126.96.36.199 Obsolete Fire Extinguishers
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
The following types of fire extinguishers are considered obsolete and shall be removed from service:
- Soda acid
- Chemical foam (excluding film-forming agents)
- Carbon tetrachloride, methyl bromide, and chlorobromomethane (CBM)
- Cartridge-operated water
- Cartridge-operated loaded stream
- Copper or brass shell (excluding pump tanks) joined by soft solder or rivets
- Carbon dioxide extinguishers with metal horns
- Solid charge-type AFFF extinguishers (paper cartridge)
- Pressurized water fire extinguishers manufactured prior to 1971
- Any extinguisher that needs to be inverted to operate
- Any extinguisher manufactured prior to 1955
- Any extinguishers with 4B, 6B, 8B, 12B, and 16B fire ratings
- Stored-pressure water extinguishers with fiberglass shells (pre-1976)
Dry chemical stored-pressure extinguishers with an indicated manufacturing date of 1984 or prior shall be removed from service. [10:4.4.1]
Paragraph 188.8.131.52.1 shall not apply to wheeled-type dry chemical stored-pressure fire extinguishers. [10:184.108.40.206]
Related Code Sections
220.127.116.11 Fire Protection Systems, Obsolete Fire Extinguishers
The following types of fire extinguishers are considered obsolete and shall be removed from service: Soda acid Chemical foam (excluding film ...
Fire Code 2018 of West Virginia > 13 Fire Protection Systems > 13.6 Portable Fire Extinguishers > 13.6.1 General Requirements > 18.104.22.168 Obsolete Fire Extinguishers
10.14.10.4 General Safety Requirements, Fire Extinguishers
A minimum of one portable fire extinguisher with a rating of not less than 2-A:10-B:C shall be provided ...
Fire Code 2018 of West Virginia > 10 General Safety Requirements > 10.14 Special Outdoor Events, Carnivals, and Fairs > 10.14.10 Internal Combustion Power Sources > 10.14.10.4 Fire Extinguishers
Section 1504 Construction Safeguards, Fire Extinguishers
All structures under construction, alteration , or demolition shall be provided with not less than one approved portable fire extinguisher ...
22.214.171.124 Safeguarding Construction, Alteration, and Demolition Operations, Fire Extinguishers
Two approved 4-A:40-B:C fire extinguishers shall be provided and maintained within 25 ft (7.6 m) of the operating kettle ...
Fire Code 2018 of West Virginia > 16 Safeguarding Construction, Alteration, and Demolition Operations > 16.7 Tar Kettles and Rubberized Asphalt Melters > 16.7.2 Tar Kettles > 126.96.36.199 Fire Extinguishers