Observation rooms for the monitoring of patients up to 24 hours may be provided as a distinct unit within, the emergency department. If provided the unit shall have the following:
- Handwashing stations shall be provided in each patient room and for each four treatment stations, and for each major fraction thereof. These shall be uniformly distributed to provide equal access from each patient station. Handwashing stations shall be directly accessible to nurse stations and patient care areas.
- Each patient station shall have a minimum of 120 square feet (11.15 m2) of clear floor area including space at each bedside for visitors and provision for visual privacy from casual observation by other patients and visitors.
- One toilet room shall be provided for each six treatment stations and for each major fraction thereof.
- An administrative center/nurse station, in compliance with Section 122.214.171.124, positioned to allow staff to observe each patient care station or room.
- A nourishment area in compliance with Section 1126.96.36.199.