407.2.5 Nursing Home Housing Units
In Group I-2, Condition 1 occupancies, in areas where nursing home residents are housed, shared living spaces, group meeting or multipurpose therapeutic spaces shall be permitted to be open to the corridor, where all of the following criteria are met:
- The walls and ceilings of the space are constructed as required for corridors.
- The spaces are not occupied as resident sleeping rooms, treatment rooms, incidental uses in accordance with Section 509, or hazardous uses.
- The open space is protected by an automatic fire detection system installed in accordance with Section 907.
- The corridors onto which the spaces open, in the same smoke compartment, are protected by an automatic fire detection system installed in accordance with Section 907, or the smoke compartment in which the spaces are located is equipped throughout with quick-response sprinklers in accordance with Section 903.3.2.
- The space is arranged so as not to obstruct access to the required exits.