// CODE SNIPPET
407.2.6 Nursing Home Cooking Facilities
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
In Group I-2, Condition 1 occupancies, rooms or spaces that contain a cooking facility with domestic cooking appliances shall be permitted to be open to the corridor where all of the following criteria are met:
- The number of care recipients housed in the smoke compartment shall not be greater than 30.
- The number of care recipients served by the cooking facility shall not be greater than 30.
- Not more than one cooking facility area shall be permitted in a smoke compartment.
- The types of domestic cooking appliances permitted shall be limited to ovens, cooktops, ranges, warmers and microwaves.
- The corridor shall be a clearly identified space delineated by construction or floor pattern, material or color.
- The space containing the domestic cooking facility shall be arranged so as not to obstruct access to the required exit.
- Domestic cooking hoods installed and constructed in accordance with Section 505 of the International Mechanical Code shall be provided over cooktops and ranges.
- Cooktops and ranges shall be protected in accordance with Section 904.13.
- A shut-off for the fuel and electrical power supply to the cooking equipment shall be provided in a location that is accessible only to staff.
- A timer shall be provided that automatically deactivates the cooking appliances within a period of not more than 120 minutes.
- A portable fire extinguisher shall be provided. Installation shall be in accordance with Section 906, and the extinguisher shall be located within a 30-foot (9144 mm) distance of travel from each domestic cooking appliance.