Each story and occupied roof shall have the minimum number of exits, or access to exits, as specified in this section. The required number of exits, or exit access stairways or ramps providing access to exits, from any story shall be maintained until arrival at grade or a public way. Exits or access to exits from any story shall be configured in accordance with this section. Each story above the second story of a building shall have a minimum of one interior or exterior exit stairway, or interior or exterior exit ramp. At each story above the second story that requires a minimum of three or more exits, or access to exits, a minimum of 50 percent of the required exits shall be interior or exterior exit stairways, or interior or exterior exit ramps.
- Interior exit stairways and interior exit ramps are not required in open parking garages where the means of egress serves only the open parking garage.
- Interior exit stairways and interior exit ramps are not required in outdoor facilities where all portions of the means of egress are essentially open to the outside.
2. Group R-3 occupancy buildings shall be permitted to have one exit.
3. Parking garages where vehicles are mechanically parked shall be permitted to have one exit.
6. Group R-3 and R-4 congregate residences shall be permitted to have one exit.
7.3 . All spaces within each portion of a story shall have access to the minimum number of approved independent exits based on the occupant load of that portion of the story, but not less than two exits.
|STORY||OCCUPANCY||MAXIMUM NUMBER OF DWELLING |
|MAXIMUM EXIT ACCESS TRAVEL |
|Basement, first, second or third story||R-2a, b||4 dwelling units||125 feet|
|Fourth story and above||NP||NA||NA|
|STORY||OCCUPANCY||MAXIMUM OCCUPANTS PER STORY||MAXIMUM EXIT ACCESS TRAVEL |
|First story or basement||A, Bb, E, Fb, M, U, Sb||49 occupants||75 feet|
|H-2, H-3||3 occupants||25 feet|
|H-4, H-5, I, R-1, |
|10 occupants||75 feet|
|S||29 occupants||100 feet|
|Second story||B, F, M, S||29 occupants||75 feet|
|Third story and above||NP||NA||NA|
Where one exit, or exit access stairway or ramp providing access to exits at other stories, is permitted to serve individual stories, mixed occupancies shall be permitted to be served by single exits provided each individual occupancy complies with the applicable requirements of Table 1021.2(1) or Table 1021.2(2) for that occupancy. Where applicable, cumulative occupant loads from adjacent occupancies shall be considered in accordance with the provisions of Section 1004.1.
- The dwelling unit complies with Section 1015.1 as a space with one means of egress and
- Either the exit from the dwelling unit discharges directly to the exterior at the level of exit discharge, or the exit access outside the dwelling unit's entrance door provides access to not less than two approved independent exits.
Access to exits at other levels shall be by stairways or ramps. Where access to exits occurs from adjacent building levels, the horizontal and vertical exit access travel distance to the closest exit shall not exceed that specified in Section 1016.1. Access to exits at other levels shall be from an adjacent story.