22.4.4 Nonsprinklered Existing Building Renovations
Table 184.108.40.206.1 Construction Type Limitations — Nonsprinklered Buildings
|Stories in Height †|
|Construction Type||Sprinklered||1 With Basement||1 Without Basement||2||3||>3 But Not High-Rise||High-Rise|
NA: Not applicable. NP: Not permitted.
X: Permitted for Use Conditions II, III, IV, and V. (See 220.127.116.11 for Use Condition I.)
X1: Permitted for Use Conditions II, III, and IV. Use Condition V not permitted. (See 18.104.22.168 for Use Condition I.)
Table 22.214.171.124 Hazardous Area Protection — Nonsprinklered Buildings
|Hazardous Area Description||Separation/Protection†|
|Areas not incidental to resident housing||2 hours|
|Boiler and fuel-fired heater rooms||2 hours or 1 hour and sprinklers|
|Central or bulk laundries >100 ft2 (>9.3 m2)||2 hours or 1 hour and sprinklers|
|Commercial cooking equipment||In accordance with 9.2.3|
|Commissaries||1 hour or sprinklers|
|Employee locker rooms||1 hour or sprinklers|
|Hobby/handicraft shops||1 hour or sprinklers|
|Maintenance shops||1 hour or sprinklers|
|Padded cells||2 hours or 1 hour and sprinklers|
|Soiled linen rooms||2 hours or 1 hour and sprinklers|
|Storage rooms >50 ft2 (>4.6 m2) but ≤100 ft2 (≤9.3 m2) storing combustible material||1 hour or sprinklers|
|Storage rooms >100 ft2 (>9.3 m2) storing combustible material||2 hours or 1 hour and sprinklers|
|Trash collection rooms||2 hours or 1 hour and sprinklers|
†Minimum fire resistance rating.
- Manual fire alarm boxes shall be permitted to be locked, provided that staff is present within the area when it is occupied and staff has keys readily available to unlock the boxes.
- Manual fire alarm boxes shall be permitted to be located in a staff location, provided that both of the following criteria are met:
- They shall limit the occupant load to not more than 200 residents in any smoke compartment.
- They shall limit the travel distance to a door in a smoke barrier in accordance with both of the following criteria:
Table 126.96.36.199 Subdivision of Resident Housing Spaces — Nonsprinklered Buildings
|Room to room separation||NR||NR||SR||FR (1/2)|
|Room face to corridor separation||SR||SR||SR||FR|
|Room face to common space separation||NR||NR |
≤50 ft (≤15 m)†
>50 ft (>15 m)†
|Common space to corridor separation||FR||FR||FR||FR|
|Total openings in solid room face where room face is required to be smoke resistant or fire rated ‡||0.85 ft2 |
|0.85 ft2 |
|0.85 ft2 |
|0.85 ft2 |
|where meeting one of the following: |
(1) Kept in closed position, except when in use by staff
(2) Closable from the inside
(3) Provided with smoke control
(1) Doors in openings in partitions required to be fire rated [FR (1/2), FR] in accordance with Table 188.8.131.52, in other than required enclosures of exits or hazardous areas, are required to be substantial doors of construction that resist fire for a minimum of 20 minutes. Vision panels with an existing installation of wired glass or glass with not less than 45-minute fire-rated glazing are permitted. Latches and door closers are not required on cell doors.
(2) Doors in openings in partitions required to be smoke resistant (SR) in accordance with Table 184.108.40.206 are required to be substantial doors of construction that resists the passage of smoke. Latches and door closers are not required on cell doors.
(3) Under Use Condition II, Use Condition III, or Use Condition IV, a space subdivided by open construction (any combination of grating doors and grating walls or solid walls) is permitted to be considered one room if housing not more than 16 persons. The perimeter walls of such space are required to be of smoke-resistant construction. Smoke detection is required to be provided in such space. Under Use Condition IV, common walls between sleeping areas within the space are required to be smoke resistant, and grating doors and fronts are permitted to be used. In Use Condition II and Use Condition III, open dormitories are permitted to house more than 16 persons, as permitted by other sections of this chapter.
†Travel distance through the common space to the exit access corridor.
‡"Total openings in solid room face" include all openings (e.g., undercuts, food passes, grilles), the total of which is not to exceed 0.85 ft2 (0.08 m2). All openings are required to be 36 in. (915 mm) or less above the floor.
- Operable windows on not less than two sides of the building, spaced not more than 30 ft (9.1 m) apart, that provide openings with dimensions of not less than 22 in. (560 mm) in width and 24 in. (610 mm) in height
- *Manual or automatic smoke vents
- Engineered smoke control system
- Mechanical exhaust system providing not less than six air changes per hour
- Other method acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction