Section 120.8 Nonresidential Building Commissioning
Nonresidential buildings other than healthcare facilities, with conditioned space of 10,000 square feet or more, shall comply with the applicable requirements of Sections 120.8(a) through 120.8(i) in the building design and construction processes. All building systems and components covered by Sections 110.0, 120.0, 130.0, and 140.0 shall be included in the scope of the commissioning requirements in this Section, excluding those related solely to covered processes.
Nonresidential buildings other than healthcare facilities, with conditioned space of less than 10,000 square feet shall comply with the design review requirements specified in Sections 120.8(d), and shall include any measures or requirements necessary for completing this review in the construction documents in a manner consistent with Section 120.8(e).
NOTE: Nonresidential buildings include nonresidential spaces such as nonresidential function areas within hotel/motel and high-rise residential buildings. The requirements of Section 120.8 apply based on the square footage of the nonresidential spaces.
The commissioning described in this Section is in addition to any commissioning required by Title 24, Part 11, Section 5.410.2, 5.410.4 and subsections.
- Owner's or owner representative's project requirements;
- Basis of design;
- Design phase design review;
- Commissioning measures shown in the construction documents;
- Commissioning plan;
- Functional performance testing;
- Documentation and training; and
- Commissioning report.
- Energy efficiency goals;
- Ventilation requirements;
- Project documentation requirements, including facility functions and hours of operation, and need for after hours operation;
- Equipment and systems expectations; and
- Building envelope performance expectations.
- Heating, ventilation, air conditioning (HVAC) systems and controls;
- Indoor lighting system and controls;
- Water heating systems and controls; and
- Any building envelope component considered in the OPR.
- Design reviewer requirements. The design reviewer shall be the signer of the Design Review Kickoff Certificate(s) of Compliance and Construction Document Design Review Checklist Certificate(s) of Compliance as specified in Part 1 Section 10-103(a)1.
- Design review kickoff. During the schematic design phase of the building project, the owner or owner's representative, design team and design reviewer must meet to discuss the project scope, schedule and how the design reviewer will coordinate with the project team. The building owner or owner's representative shall include the Design Review Kickoff Certificate of Compliance form in the certificate of compliance documentation (as specified in Part 1 Section 10-103).
- Construction documents design review. The construction documents design review Checklist Certificate of Compliance shall list the items checked by the design reviewer during the construction document review. The completed form shall be returned to the owner and design team for review and sign-off. The building owner or owner's representative shall include this form in the certificate of compliance documentation (as specified in Part 1 Section 10-103).
- Commissioning measures shown in the construction documents. Complete descriptions of all measures or requirements necessary for commissioning shall be included in the construction documents (plans and specifications). Commissioning measures or requirements shall be clear, detailed and complete to clarify the commissioning process.
- General project information; and
- Commissioning goals; and
- Systems to be commissioned; and
- An explanation of the original design intent; and
- Equipment and systems to be tested, including the extent of tests; and
- Functions to be tested; and
- Conditions under which the test shall be performed; and
- Measurable criteria for acceptable performance; and
- Commissioning team information; and
- Commissioning process activities, schedules and responsibilities. Plans for the completion of commissioning requirements listed in Sections 120.8(g) through 120.8(i) shall be included.
- Site information, including facility description, history and current requirements; and
- Site contact information; and
- Instructions for basic operations and maintenance, including general site operating procedures, basic troubleshooting, recommended maintenance requirements, and a site events log; and
- Description of major systems; and
- Site equipment inventory and maintenance notes; and
- A copy of all special inspection verifications required by the enforcing agency or the standards.
- System and equipment overview (i.e., what the equipment is, what it does and with what other systems or equipment it interfaces)
- Review and demonstration of operation, servicing and preventive maintenance procedures
- Review of the information in the systems manual
- Review of the record drawings on the systems and equipment