18.104.22.168 Non-Fire-Resistive Construction
(a) Enclosures and doors shall be unperforated to a height of 2 0 0 0 mm (79 in.) above each floor or landing and above the treads of adjacent stairways. The enclosure shall be unperforated adjacent to and for 150 mm (6 in.) on either side of any moving equipment that is within 100 mm (4 in.) of the enclosure.
(b) Partitions between hoistways and
(1) machinery spaces outside the hoistway
(2) machine rooms
(3) control spaces outside the hoistway
(4) control rooms shall be of solid or openwork construction that meets the requirements of (d)(1) through (d)(3). Partitions of solid construction shall be permitted to have openings essential for ropes, drums, sheaves, and other elevator equipment. Openwork construction shall reject a ball 25 mm (1 in.) in diameter, except where there are openings for ropes, drums, sheaves, and other elevator equipment.
(c) Openwork enclosures, where used above the 2000 mm (79 in.) level, shall reject a ball 25 mm (1 in.) in diameter.
(d) Openwork enclosures shall be
(1) at least 2.2 mm (0.087 in.) thick wire, if of steel wire grille
(2) at least 2.2 mm (0.087 in.) thick, if of expanded metal
(3) supported and braced to deflect not over 15 mm (0.6 in.) when subjected to a force of 450 N (100 lbf) applied horizontally at any point
(e) Enclosures shall be permitted to be glass, provided it is laminated glass conforming to ANSI Z97.1,16 CFR Part 1201, or CAN/CGSB-12.1, whichever is applicable (see Part 9). Markings as specified in the applicable standard shall be on each separate piece of glass and shall remain visible after installation.