Multiple-accommodation toilet facilities shall have the following:
Note: (See Figures 11A-9A and 11A-9B.)
- Wheelchair turning space. Turning space of sufficient size to inscribe a circle with a diameter not less than 60 inches (1524 mm) or a T-shaped space shall be provided within the toilet facility. The wheelchair turning space shall comply with Section 1138A.1.3. Other than the door to the accessible water closet compartment, a door, in any position, may encroach into this space by not more than 12 inches (305 mm).
- Clear space at fixtures. Doors shall not swing into the clear floor space required for any fixture. Required clear floor space, clearance at fixtures, and turning space shall be permitted to overlap.
- The rear grab bar shall be permitted to be 24 inches (610 mm) long minimum, centered on the water closet, when wall space does not permit a length of 36 inches (914 mm) minimum due to the location of a recessed fixture adjacent to the water closet.
- When the enforcing agency requires flush controls for flush valves to be located in a position that conflicts with the location of the rear grab bar, then the rear grab bar shall be permitted to be split or shifted to the open side of the toilet area.
- 5.1. The water closet compartment shall be equipped with a door that has an automatic-closing device, and shall have a clear, unobstructed opening width of 32 inches (813 mm) when located at the end and 34 inches (864 mm) when located at the side with the door positioned at an angle of 90 degrees from its closed position.
- 5.2. When standard compartment doors are used, with a minimum 9-inch (228.6 mm) clearance for footrests underneath and a self-closing device, clearance at the strike edge as specified in Section 1126A.3.2 is not required.
- 5.3. The inside and outside of the compartment door shall be equipped with a loop or U-shaped handle immediately below the latch. The latch shall be flip-over style, sliding or other hardware not requiring the user to grasp or twist.
- 5.4. Except for door-opening widths and door swings, a clear, unobstructed access of not less than 44 inches (1118 mm) shall be provided to water closet compartments designed for use by persons with disabilities, and the space immediately in front of a water closet compartment shall not be less than 48 inches (1219 mm) as measured at right angles to compartment door in its closed position.
- 5.5. Doors shall be located in the front or in the side wall or partition farthest from the water closet. Where located in the front partition, the door opening shall be 4 inches (102 mm) maximum from the side wall or partition. Where located in the side wall or partition, the door opening shall be 4 inches (102 mm) maximum from the front wall or partition.