2205A.5 Modifications to AISC 358
[OSHPD 1 and 4]
Design Requirements, 2.1 Special and Intermediate Moment Frame Connection Types, Table 2-1 Prequalified Moment Connections modifications.
The prequalified bolted moment connections are not permitted in buildings.
- Erection bolts are permitted.
- The approved moment connection in accordance-with AISC 358 Chapter 10 as permitted by the exception to Section 2206A.2.
The welded side plate steel moment connection shall be permitted provided:
- The beams shall consist of either rolled or built-up wide flange sections.
- The biaxial dual-strong axis and column minor axis configurations of the moment connection shall be considered as an alternative system.
- For SMF and IMF systems, U-shaped cover plates shall be used and the hinge-to-hinge span to beam depth, Lh/d, shall be greater than or equal to 5.
- The width-to-thickness ratios for beam flanges shall not be less than 3.
- The spacing for lateral bracing of wide flange beams, Lb, shall include the length of the side plate at beam ends.
- The extension of the side plates beyond the face of the column shall be within the range of 0.77d to 1.0d.
- The gap-to-side plate thickness ratio shall range from 2.1 to 2.3.