81-14 Modification of Sign and Frontage Regulations in the Fifth Avenue Subdistrict
(a) For all existing and new uses in the Fifth Avenue Subdistrict, signs shall not be permitted on the exterior of any building below a level of 10 feet above curb level. The aggregate surface area of all signs in ground floor windows is restricted to not more than one-third of the window area.
Any sign that does not comply with the provisions of this paragraph, (a), shall be terminated, except that a sign which the Chairperson of the City Planning Commission certifies is an integral part of the building, shall not be required to terminate.
(b) In a C5-3 District within the Fifth Avenue Subdistrict, the Chairperson of the City Planning Commission may, by certification, modify the requirements of Section 32-655 (Height of signs in all other Commercial Districts), to allow a single non-illuminated sign per building, other than an advertising sign, to be located at a height between 25 and 50 feet above curb level, provided that the permitted sign shall:
(1) be limited to one name and/or address of the building or the name of an establishment located therein, consisting only of individual letters and/or numbers not exceeding 18 inches in height;
(2) not be within a frame, a border, or any kind of background other than the building facade;
(3) not project more than three inches from the facade of the building; and
(4) not exceed 25 square feet in aggregate surface area.
(c) On any zoning lot occupied by a landmark designated by the Landmarks Preservation Commission which lies partially or wholly within the Fifth Avenue Subdistrict, the Chairperson of the City Planning Commission may, by certification, modify the applicable sign regulations of Section 32-60 to permit illuminated signs on the open area of the zoning lot, provided that such signs shall:
(1) be a re-creation of historic signs and that the Landmarks Preservation Commission has issued a Certificate of Appropriateness or other permit for such signs;
(2) not exceed a surface area of 12 square feet per sign; and
(3) not project across a street line.
(a) Transparency requirement
On wide street frontages in underlying C5 Districts, at least 50 percent of a building's street wall surface shall be glazed and transparent at the ground floor level, and not more than 50 percent of such transparent surface shall be painted. For the purpose of the glazing requirements, the building's street wall surface at the ground floor level shall be measured from the floor to the height of the ceiling or 14 feet above grade, whichever is less.
(b) Banners or pennants
The display of banners or pennants from the exterior of any building in an underlying C5 District is prohibited.