// CODE SNIPPET
1224.4.6 Miscellaneous Requirements
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Station outlets for oxygen, vacuum, and medical air shall comply with Table 122.214.171.124.
|1||Patient rooms (medical/surgical unit)||1/bed||1/bed||—||—|
|2||Examination or treatment (medical/surgical unit and postpartum care)||1/room||1/room||—||—|
|3||Airborne infection isolation or protective environment rooms (medical/surgical unit)||1/bed||1/bed||—||—|
|4||Seclusion room (medical/surgical unit and postpartum care)||1/bed||1/bed||—||—|
|5||Intensive care (general)||3/bed||3/bed||1/bed||—|
|6||Airborne infection isolation||3/bed||3/bed||1/bed||—|
|7||Coronary-care service space||3/bed||2/bed||1/bed||—|
|8||Pediatric intensive care||3/bed||3/bed||1/bed||—|
|9||Newborn intensive care||3/bassinet||3/bassinet||3/bassinet||—|
|10||Newborn nursery (full term)||1/4 bassinets2||1/4 bassinets2||1/4 bassinets2||—|
|11||Pediatric and adolescent||1/bed||1/bed||1/bed||—|
|13||Psychiatric patient room||—||—||—||—|
|14||Seclusion treatment room (psychiatric unit)||—||—||—||—|
|15||General operating room||2/room||5/room||1/room||1/room|
|16||Cardio and special procedures||2/room||5/room||1/room||1/room|
|18||Surgical cystoscopic and other endo-urologic procedures||1/room||3/room||—||—|
|19||Post-anesthesia care unit||2/bed||3/bed||1/bed||—|
|21||Endoscopy procedure room||1/room||3/room||—||—|
|23||Cesarean operating/delivery room||2/room||4/room||1/room||1/room|
|24||Recovery space for cesarean delivery||1/bed||3/bed||1/bed||—|
|25||Infant resuscitation space4||3/bassinet||3/bassinet||3/bassinet||—|
|27||OB recovery room||1/bed||3/bed||—||—|
|30||Initial emergency management||1/bed||1/bed||1/bed||—|
|31||Triage area (definitive emergency care)||1/station||1/station||—||—|
|32||Definitive emergency care examination or treatment rooms||1/bed||1/bed||1/bed||—|
|35||Orthopedic and cast room||1/room||1/room||—||—|
|36||Cardiac catheterization lab||2/bed||2/bed||2/bed||—|
|39||Interventional imaging procedure room||2/room||2/room||1/room||—|
|40||Hyperbaric suite pre-procedure/patient holding area||2/station||2/station||—||—|
|41||Electroconvulsive therapy procedure room||1/room7||1/room7||—||—|
- For any area or room not described above, the facility clinical staff shall determine outlet requirements after consultation with the enforcing agency.
- Four bassinets may share one outlet that is accessible to each bassinet.
- WAGD stands for "waste anesthesia gas disposal" system.
- When infant resuscitation takes place in a room such as cesarean section/delivery or LDRP, then the infant resuscitation services shall be provided in that room in addition to the minimum service required for the mother.
- One outlet for mother and one for each bassinet.
- Renovation projects of existing spaces where the existing function is not changed, are not required to comply with the requirements of this table.
- Use of portable equipment shall be permitted.
The design, installation and testing of medical gas and vacuum systems shall conform to Table 1126.96.36.199 and NFPA 99.
The location of nurse call devices shall comply with Table 1188.8.131.52. The design of call systems shall comply with the California Electrical Code, Part 3 of Title 24.
|AREA DESIGNATION||PATIENT STATION||BATH STATION||STAFF EMERGENCY STATION||CODE CALL STATION||NURSE MASTER STATION||DUTY STATION||NOTES|
|Nursing Unit bed location||●||1, 2, 3, 4|
|Patient showers and baths||●||2|
|Critical care bed locations, including NICU||●||●||●||1, 2, 4, 5|
|LDR/LDRP rooms||●||●||●||1, 2, 3, 4|
|Newborn and special care nurseries||●||●|
|Medication preparation room||●|
|Diagnostic and Treatment Areas|
|Psychiatric seclusion ante/exam rooms||●|
|Cesarean delivery rooms||●||2|
|Emergency exam, treatment, triage rooms||●||●||●||1, 2, 4|
|Observation unit patient station||●|
|Preoperative patient care area||●||●||1, 2|
|MRI, CT, stress testing areas||●||●||2, 4|
|Diagnostic radiology, fluoroscopy and ultrasound procedure rooms||●||2|
|Cardiac catheterization, interventional imaging, angiography||●||●|
|Nuclear medicine procedure room||●||2|
|Endoscopy procedure room||●||2|
|Electroconvulsive therapy procedure room||●|
- One device shall be permitted to accommodate both patient station and emergency staff assistance station functionality.
- A visible signal shall be activated in the corridor at the patient's door, at the nurse/control station, and at all duty stations. In multicorridor nursing units, additional visible signals shall be installed at corridor intersections.
- Two-way voice communication shall be provided with the nurse/control station.
Exception: Skilled nursing facilities.
- One device shall be permitted to accommodate both emergency staff assistance and code call station functionality.
- A patient station shall not be required in the NICU.