Article 332 Mineral-Insulated, Metal-Sheathed Cable: Type MI
Mineral-Insulated, Metal-Sheathed Cable, Type MI. A factory assembly of one or more conductors insulated with a highly compressed refractory mineral insulation and enclosed in a liquidtight and gastight continuous copper or alloy steel sheath.
- For services, feeders, and branch circuits
- For power, lighting, control, and signal circuits
- In dry, wet, or continuously moist locations
- Indoors or outdoors
- Where exposed or concealed
- Where embedded in plaster, concrete, fill, or other masonry, whether above or below grade
- In hazardous (classified) locations where specifically permitted by other articles in this Code
- Where exposed to oil and gasoline
- Where exposed to corrosive conditions not deteriorating to its sheath
- In underground runs where suitably protected against physical damage and corrosive conditions
- In or attached to cable tray
Informational Note: The "Uses Permitted" is not an all-inclusive list.
- Five times the external diameter of the metallic sheath for cable not more than 19 mm (3/4 in.) in external diameter
- Ten times the external diameter of the metallic sheath for cable greater than 19 mm (3/4 in.) but not more than 25 mm (1 in.) in external diameter