703.3 Methods for Determining Fire Resistance
The application of any of the methods listed in this section shall be based on the fire exposure and acceptance criteria specified in ASTM E119 or UL 263. The required fire resistance of a building element, component or assembly shall be permitted to be established by any of the following methods or procedures:
- Fire-resistance designs documented in approved sources.
- Prescriptive designs of fire-resistance-rated building elements, components or assemblies as prescribed in Section 721.
- Calculations in accordance with Section 722.
- Engineering analysis based on a comparison of building element, component or assemblies designs having fire-resistance ratings as determined by the test procedures set forth in ASTM E119 or UL 263.
- Alternative protection methods as allowed by Section 104.11.
- Fire-resistance designs certified by an approved agency.