R602.10.3.4 Method PFG: At Garage Door Openings in Seismic Design Categories A, B and C
Where supporting a roof or one story and a roof, alternate braced wall panels constructed in accordance with the following provisions are permitted on either side of garage door openings. For the purpose of calculating wall bracing amounts to satisfy the minimum requirements of Table R602.10.1.2(1), the length of the alternate braced wall panel shall be multiplied by a factor of 1.5.
- Braced wall panel length shall be a minimum of 24 inches (610 mm) and braced wall panel height shall be a maximum of 10 feet (3048 mm).
- Braced wall panel shall be sheathed on one face with a single layer of 7/16-inch-minimum (11 mm) thickness wood structural panel sheathing attached to framing with 8d common nails at 3 inches (76 mm) on center in accordance with Figure R602.10.3.4.
- The wood structural panel sheathing shall extend up over the solid sawn or glued-laminated header and shall be nailed to the header at 3 inches (76 mm) on center grid in accordance with Figure R602.10.3.4.
- The header shall consist of a minimum of two solid sawn 2×12s (51 by 305 mm) or a 3 inches × 11.25 inch (76 by 286 mm) glued-laminated header. The header shall extend between the inside faces of the first full-length outer studs of each panel in accordance with Figure R602.10.3.4. The clear span of the header between the inner studs of each panel shall be not less than 6 feet (1829 mm) and not more than 18 feet (5486 mm) in length.
- A strap with an uplift capacity of not less than 1,000 pounds (4448 N) shall fasten the header to the side of the inner studs opposite the sheathing face. Where building is located in Wind Exposure Categories C or D, the strap uplift capacity shall be in accordance with Table R602.10.4.1.1.
- A minimum of two bolts not less than 1/2-inch (12.7 mm) diameter shall be installed in accordance with Section R403.1.6. A 3/16-inch by 21/2-inch (4.8 by 63 by 63 mm) by 21/2-inch steel plate washer is installed between the bottom plate and the nut of each bolt.
- Braced wall panel shall be installed directly on a foundation.
- Where an alternate braced wall panel is located only on one side of the garage opening, the header shall be connected to a supporting jack stud on the opposite side of the garage opening with a metal strap with an uplift capacity of not less than 1,000 pounds. Where that supporting jack stud is not part of a braced wall panel assembly, another 1,000 pounds (4448 N) strap shall be installed to attach the supporting jack stud to the foundation.
For SI: 1 inch = 25.4 mm, 1 foot = 304.8 mm, 1 pound force = 4.448 N.