// CODE SNIPPET
G2414.10 (403.10) Metallic Piping Joints and Fittings
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
The type of piping joint used shall be suitable for the pressure-temperature conditions and shall be selected giving consideration to joint tightness and mechanical strength under the service conditions. The joint shall be able to sustain the maximum end force caused by the internal pressure and any additional forces caused by temperature expansion or contraction, vibration, fatigue, or to the weight of the pipe and its contents.
Schedule 40 and heavier pipe joints shall be threaded, flanged, brazed, welded or assembled with press-connect fittings listed in accordance with ANSI LC4/CSA 6.32. Pipe lighter than Schedule 40 shall be connected using press-connect fittings, flanges, brazing or welding. Where nonferrous pipe is brazed, the brazing materials shall have a melting point in excess of 1,000°F (538°C). Brazing alloys shall not contain more than 0.05-percent phosphorus.
Copper tubing joints shall be assembled with approved gas tubing fittings, shall be brazed with a material having a melting point in excess of 1,000°F (538°C) or assembled with press-connect fittings listed in accordance with ANSI LC4/CSA 6.32. Brazing alloys shall not contain more than 0.05-percent phosphorus.
Stainless steel tubing joints shall be welded, assembled with approved tubing fittings, brazed with a material having a melting point in excess of 1,000°F (538°C), or assembled with press-connect fittings listed in accordance with ANSI LC4/CSA 6.32.
Flared joints shall be used only in systems constructed from nonferrous pipe and tubing where experience or tests have demonstrated that the joint is suitable for the conditions and where provisions are made in the design to prevent separation of the joints.
Metallic fittings shall comply with the following:
- Fittings used with steel, stainless steel or wrought-iron pipe shall be steel, stainless steel, copper alloy, malleable iron or cast iron.
- Fittings used with copper or copper alloy pipe shall be copper or copper alloy.
- Cast-iron bushings shall be prohibited.
- Special fittings. Fittings such as couplings, proprietary-type joints, saddle tees, gland-type compression fittings, and flared, flareless and compression-type tubing fittings shall be: used within the fitting manufacturer's pressure-temperature recommendations; used within the service conditions anticipated with respect to vibration, fatigue, thermal expansion and contraction; and shall be approved.
- 5.1. The operation shall be performed on systems having operating pressures of 5 psi (34.5 kPa) or less.
- 5.2. The operation shall be performed by the gas supplier or the gas supplier's designated representative.
- 5.3. The drilling and tapping operation shall be performed in accordance with written procedures prepared by the gas supplier.
- 5.4. The fittings shall be located outdoors.
- 5.5. The tapped fitting assembly shall be inspected and proven to be free of leakage.