Article 396 Messenger-Supported Wiring
Insulated Conductor. This definition shall apply only within this article.
For the purposes of this article, an insulated conductor includes the following:
- Conductor types described in 310.4, and
- Overhead service conductors encased in a polymeric material that has been evaluated for the applied nominal voltage.
Informational Note: Evidence of evaluation for the applied nominal voltage can be given by certification that the conductors have met the requirements of ICEA S-76-474-2011, Standard for Neutral Supported Power Cable Assemblies with Weather-Resistant Extruded Insulation Rated 600 Volts.
Messenger-Supported Wiring. This definition shall apply within this article and throughout the Code.
- A messenger with rings and saddles for conductor support
- A messenger with a field-installed lashing material for conductor support
- Factory-assembled aerial cable
- Multiplex cables utilizing a bare conductor, factory assembled and twisted with one or more insulated conductors, such as duplex, triplex, or quadruplex type of construction
Table 396.10(A) Cable Types
|Mineral-insulated, metal-sheathed cable||332|
|Multiconductor service-entrance cable||338|
|Multiconductor underground feeder and branch-circuit cable||340|
|Other factory-assembled, multiconductor control, signal, or power cables that are identified for the use|
|Power and control tray cable||336|
|Power-limited tray cable||Table 725.154, 725.135(J), and 725.179(E)|