Areas wherein mental health patients who are not capable of self-preservation are housed, or group meeting or multipurpose therapeutic spaces other than incidental accessory occupancies in accordance with Section 509, under continuous supervision by facility staff, shall be permitted to be open to the corridor, where the following criteria are met:
- Each area does not exceed 1,500 square feet (140 m2).
- The area is located to permit supervision by the facility staff.
- The area is arranged so as not to obstruct any access to the required exits.
- The area is equipped with an automatic fire detection system installed in accordance with Section 907.2.
- Not more than one such space is permitted in any one smoke compartment.
- The walls and ceilings of the space are constructed as required for corridors.