Membrane penetrations shall comply with Section R302.4.1. Where walls are required to have a fire-resistance rating, recessed fixtures shall be installed so that the required fire-resistance rating will not be reduced.
- 1.1. By a horizontal distance of not less than 24 inches (610 mm) where the wall or partition is constructed with individual noncommunicating stud cavities.
- 1.2. By a horizontal distance of not less than the depth of the wall cavity where the wall cavity is filled with cellulose loose-fill, rockwool or slag mineral wool insulation.
- 1.3. By solid fireblocking in accordance with Section R302.11.
- 1.4. By protecting both boxes with listed putty pads.
- 1.5. By other listed materials and methods.
- The annular space created by the penetration of a fire sprinkler provided that it is covered by a metal escutcheon plate.