1225.5.1 Medical Model
Patients shall be accommodated only in rooms with the following minimum floor area, exclusive of toilet rooms, wardrobes, entrance vestibules, and fixed furnishings or equipment.
- Single-patient rooms: 110 square feet (10.21 m2).
- Multi-patient rooms: 80 square feet (7.43 m2) per bed.
The dimensions and arrangement shall be such that there is a minimum distance of 3 feet (914 mm) between the sides and foot of the beds and any wall or any other fixed obstruction. In multiple-bed rooms, in addition to the above, a minimum clearance of 3 feet (914 mm) shall be provided between beds and a clearance of 4 feet (1219 mm) shall be available at the foot of each bed to permit the passage of equipment and beds.
Each patient bed area shall have an outside exposure and shall not be below ground level. The window or glazed opening shall provide an unobstructed view from the head of each patient bed to the outdoors and shall be accessible to approach using a wheelchair or other patient-operated mobility device.
Each patient room shall be provided with wardrobe or locker spaces for clothing, toilet articles, or other personal belongings for each patient.
Exception: Pediatric and psychiatric patient rooms.
Adequate space shall be provided at each nursing station for the storage of drugs and preparation of medication doses.
All spaces and areas used for the storage of drugs shall be lockable and accessible to authorized personnel only.
Facilities shall provide for storage of drugs requiring refrigeration.
The pharmacy shall not serve the general public unless a separate public entrance or a separate public serving window is utilized.
Designated activity areas appropriate to independent and group needs of patients shall be provided as follows:
- Recreation room. Each floor of each building accommodating six or more patients shall be provided with a recreation room with a minimum of 100 square feet (9.29 m2).
- Recreation and dining. A minimum of 100 square feet (9.29 m2) plus 12 square feet (1.11 m2) per bed shall be provided for recreation and dining activities.
- Recreation room. Each floor of each building accommodating five or more patients shall be provided with a recreation room with a minimum of 150 square feet (13.94 m2).
- Recreation and dining. A minimum of 30 square feet (2.79 m2) per bed for recreation and dining activities.
- Outdoor space for activities and recreation.