Receivers for medical air shall meet the following requirements:
- They shall be made of corrosion-resistant materials or otherwise be made corrosion resistant.
- They shall comply with Section VIII, "Unfired Pressure Vessels" of the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code.
- They shall be equipped with a pressure relief valve, automatic drain, manual drain, sight glass, and pressure indicator.
- They shall be of a capacity sufficient to prevent the compressor from short-cycling. [NFPA 99:188.8.131.52.3.6]
Receivers shall have the following:
- The capacity to prevent short-cycling of the compressor(s)
- Compliance with Section VIII, "Unfired Pressure Vessels" of the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code [NFPA 99:184.108.40.206.1.2]
A medical air receiver(s) shall be provided with proper valves to allow the flow of compressed air to enter and exit out of separate receiver ports during normal operation and allow the receiver to be bypassed during service without shutting down the supply of medical air. [NFPA 99:220.127.116.11.3.9(D)]