G2427.5 (503.5) Masonry, Metal and Factory-Built Chimneys
Masonry chimneys shall be built and installed in accordance with NFPA 211 and shall be lined with an approved clay flue lining, a chimney lining system listed and labeled in accordance with UL 1777 or other approved material that will resist corrosion, erosion, softening or cracking from vent gases at temperatures up to 1,800°F (982°C).
Exception: Masonry chimney flues serving listed gas appliances with draft hoods, Category I appliances and other gas appliances listed for use with Type B vents shall be permitted to be lined with a chimney lining system specifically listed for use only with such appliances. The liner shall be installed in accordance with the liner manufacturer's instructions. A permanent identifying label shall be attached at the point where the connection is to be made to the liner. The label shall read: "This chimney liner is for appliances that burn gas only. Do not connect to solid or liquid fuel-burning appliances or incinerators."
The effective area of a chimney venting system serving listed appliances with draft hoods, Category I appliances, and other appliances listed for use with Type B vents shall be determined in accordance with one of the following methods:
- The provisions of Section G2428.
- For sizing an individual chimney venting system for a single appliance with a draft hood, the effective areas of the vent connector and chimney flue shall be not less than the area of the appliance flue collar or draft hood outlet, nor greater than seven times the draft hood outlet area.
- For sizing a chimney venting system connected to two appliances with draft hoods, the effective area of the chimney flue shall be not less than the area of the larger draft hood outlet plus 50 percent of the area of the smaller draft hood outlet, nor greater than seven times the smallest draft hood outlet area.
- Chimney venting systems using mechanical draft shall be sized in accordance with approved engineering methods.
- Other approved engineering methods.
Chimneys shall be lined in accordance with NFPA 211.
Exception: Where an existing chimney complies with Sections G2427.5.5 through G24184.108.40.206 and its sizing is in accordance with Section G2427.5.4, its continued use shall be allowed where the appliance vented by such chimney is replaced by an appliance of similar type, input rating and efficiency.
The remaining space surrounding a chimney liner, gas vent, special gas vent or plastic piping installed within a masonry chimney flue shall not be used to vent another appliance. The insertion of another liner or vent within the chimney as provided in this code and the liner or vent manufacturer's instructions shall not be prohibited.
The remaining space surrounding a chimney liner, gas vent, special gas vent or plastic piping installed within a masonry, metal or factory-built chimney shall not be used to supply combustion air. Such space shall not be prohibited from supplying combustion air to direct-vent appliances designed for installation in a solid fuel-burning fireplace and installed in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions.