404.2 Manual Doors, Doorways, and Manual Gates
- In alterations, a projection of 5/8 inch (16 mm) maximum into the required clear width shall be permitted for the latch side stop.
- Door closers and door stops shall be permitted to be 78 inches (1980 mm) minimum above the finish floor or ground.
|Type of Use||Minimum Maneuvering Clearance|
|Approach Direction||Door or Gate Side||Perpendicular to Doorway||Parallel to Doorway (beyond latch side unless noted)|
|1. Add 12 inches (305 mm) if closer and latch are provide |
2. Add 6 inches (150 mm) if closer and latch are provided.
3. Beyond hinge side.
4. Add 6 inches (150 mm) if closer is provided.
|From front||Pull||60 inches (1525 mm)||18 inches (455 mm)|
|From front||Push||48 inches (1220 mm)||0 inches (0 mm) 1|
|From hinge side||Pull||60 inches (1525 mm)||36 inches (915 mm)|
|From hinge side||Pull||54 inches (1370 mm)||42 inches (1065 mm)|
|From hinge side||Push||42 inches (1065 mm) 2||22 inches (560 mm) 3|
|From latch side||Pull||48 inches (1220 mm) 4||24 inches (610 mm)|
|From latch side||Push||42 inches (1065 mm) 4||24 inches (610 mm)|
|Approach Direction||Minimum Maneuvering Clearance|
|Perpendicular to Doorway||Parallel to Doorway (beyond stop/latch side unless noted)|
|From Front||48 inches (1220 mm)||0 inches (0 mm)|
|From side1||42 inches (1065 mm)||0 inches (0 mm)|
|From pocket/hinge side||42 inches (1065 mm)||22 inches (560 mm)2|
|From stop/latch side||42 inches (1065 mm)||24 inches (610 mm)|
Advisory 404.2.4.3 Recessed Doors and Gates. A door can be recessed due to wall thickness or because of the placement of casework and other fixed elements adjacent to the doorway. This provision must be applied wherever doors are recessed.
- Existing locks shall be permitted in any location at existing glazed doors without stiles, existing overhead rolling doors or grilles, and similar existing doors or grilles that are designed with locks that are activated only at the top or bottom rail.
- Access gates in barrier walls and fences protecting pools, spas, and hot tubs shall be permitted to have operable parts of the release of latch on self-latching devices at 54 inches (1370 mm) maximum above the finish floor or ground provided the self-latching devices are not also self-locking devices and operated by means of a key, electronic opener, or integral combination lock.
Advisory 404.2.7 Door and Gate Hardware. Door hardware that can be operated with a closed fist or a loose grip accommodates the greatest range of users. Hardware that requires simultaneous hand and finger movements require greater dexterity and coordination, and is not recommended.
- Interior hinged doors and gates: 5 pounds (22.2 N) maximum.
- Sliding or folding doors: 5 pounds (22.2 N) maximum.
These forces do not apply to the force required to retract latch bolts or disengage other devices that hold the door or gate in a closed position.
Advisory 404.2.9 Door and Gate Opening Force. The maximum force pertains to the continuous application of force necessary to fully open a door, not the initial force needed to overcome the inertia of the door. It does not apply to the force required to retract bolts or to disengage other devices used to keep the door in a closed position.
- Sliding doors shall not be required to comply with 404.2.10.
- Tempered glass doors without stiles and having a bottom rail or shoe with the top leading edge tapered at 60 degrees minimum from the horizontal shall not be required to meet the 10 inch (255 mm) bottom smooth surface height requirement.
- Doors and gates that do not extend to within 10 inches (255 mm) of the finish floor or ground shall not be required to comply with 404.2.10.
- Existing doors and gates without smooth surfaces within 10 inches (255 mm) of the finish floor or ground shall not be required to provide smooth surfaces complying with 404.2.10 provided that if added kick plates are installed, cavities created by such kick plates are capped.