// CODE SNIPPET
1104.2 Machinery Room
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Except as provided in Sections 1104.2.1 and 1104.2.2, all components containing the refrigerant shall be located either outdoors or in a machinery room where the quantity of refrigerant in an independent circuit of a system exceeds the amounts shown in Table 1103.1. For refrigerant blends not listed in Table 1103.1, the same requirement shall apply when the amount for any blend component exceeds that indicated in Table 1103.1 for that component. This requirement shall also apply when the combined amount of the blend components exceeds a limit of 69,100 parts per million (ppm) by volume. Machinery rooms required by this section shall be constructed and maintained in accordance with Section 1105 for Group A1 and B1 refrigerants and in accordance with Sections 1105 and 1106 for Group A2, B2, A3 and B3 refrigerants.
- Machinery rooms are not required for listed equipment and appliances containing not more than 6.6 pounds (3 kg) of refrigerant, regardless of the refrigerant's safety classification, where installed in accordance with the equipment's or appliance's listing and the equipment or appliance manufacturer's installation instructions.
- Piping in conformance with Section 1107 is allowed in other locations to connect components installed in a machinery room with those installed outdoors.
This section applies only to industrial occupancies and refrigerated rooms for manufacturing, food and beverage preparation, meat cutting, other processes and storage. Machinery rooms are not required where all of the following conditions are met:
- The space containing the machinery is separated from other occupancies by tight construction with tight-fitting doors.
- Access is restricted to authorized personnel.
- The floor area per occupant is not less than 100 square feet (9.3 m2) where machinery is located on floor levels with exits more than 6.6 feet (2012 mm) above the ground. Where provided with egress directly to the outdoors or into approved building exits, the minimum floor area shall not apply.
- Refrigerant detectors are installed as required for machinery rooms in accordance with Section 1105.3.
- Surfaces having temperatures exceeding 800°F (427°C) and open flames are not present where any Group A2, B2, A3 or B3 refrigerant is used (see Section 1104.3.4).
- All electrical equipment and appliances conform to Class 1, Division 2, hazardous location classification requirements of NFPA 70 where the quantity of any Group A2, B2, A3 or B3 refrigerant, other than ammonia, in a single independent circuit would exceed 25 percent of the lower flammability limit (LFL) upon release to the space.
- All refrigerant-containing parts in systems exceeding 100 horsepower (hp) (74.6 kW) drive power, except evaporators used for refrigeration or dehumidification; condensers used for heating; control and pressure relief valves for either; and connecting piping, shall be located either outdoors or in a machinery room.
Related Code Sections
1104.2 Refrigeration, Machinery Room
Machinery rooms required by this section shall be constructed and maintained in accordance with Section 1105 for Group A1 and B1 refrigerants ...
2015 Michigan Mechanical Code > 11 Refrigeration > 1104 System Application Requirements > 1104.2 Machinery Room
1006.2.2.2 Means of Egress, Refrigeration Machinery Rooms
Machinery rooms larger than 1,000 square feet (93 m 2 ) shall have not less than two exits or exit access doorways . Where two exit access ...
2015 Michigan Building Code > 10 Means of Egress > 1006 Number of Exits and Exit Access Doorways > 1006.2 Egress From Spaces > 1006.2.2 Egress Based on Use > 1006.2.2.2 Refrigeration Machinery Rooms
Section 1105 Refrigeration, Machinery Room, General Requirements
Machinery rooms shall be designed and constructed in accordance with the International Building Code and this section ...
1106.3 Refrigeration, Ammonia Room Ventilation
Ventilation systems in ammonia machinery rooms shall be operated continuously at the ventilation rate specified in Section 1105.6.3. Exceptions ...
2015 Michigan Mechanical Code > 11 Refrigeration > 1106 Machinery Room, Special Requirements > 1106.3 Ammonia Room Ventilation