// CODE SNIPPET
6109.15 LP-gas Cylinder Exchange for Resale
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
- Cylinders shall be secured in a lockable, ventilated metal cabinet or other approved enclosure.
- Cylinders shall be accessible only by authorized personnel or by use of an automated exchange system in accordance with Section 6109.15.1.
- A sign shall be posted on the entry door of the business operating the cylinder exchange stating "DO NOT BRING LP-GAS CYLINDERS INTO THE BUILDING" or similar approved wording.
- An emergency contact information sign shall be posted within 10 feet (3048 mm) of the cylinder storage cabinet. The content, lettering, size, color and location of the required sign shall be as required by the fire code official.
- The vending system shall only permit access to a single cylinder per individual transaction.
- Cabinets storing cylinders shall be designed such that cylinders can only be placed inside when they are oriented in the upright position.
- Devices operating door releases for access to stored cylinders shall be permitted to be pneumatic, mechanical or electrically powered.
- Electrical equipment inside of or within 5 feet (1524 mm) of a cabinet storing cylinders, including but not limited to electronics associated with vending operations, shall comply with the requirements for Class I, Division 2 equipment in accordance with the California Electrical Code.
- A manual override control shall be permitted for use by authorized personnel. On newly installed cylinder exchange stations, the vending system shall not be capable of returning to automatic operation after a manual override until the system has been inspected and reset by authorized personnel.
- Inspections shall be conducted by authorized personnel to verify that all cylinders are secured, access doors are closed and the station has no visible damage or obvious defects that necessitate placing the station out of service. The frequency of inspections shall be as specified by the fire code official.
Related Code Sections
6109.15 Liquefied Petroleum Gases, LP-gas Cylinder Exchange for Resale
In addition to other applicable requirements of this chapter, facilities operating LP-gas cylinder exchange stations that are accessible ...
2017 LA City Fire Code > 61 Liquefied Petroleum Gases > 6109 Storage of Portable LP-gas Containers Awaiting Use or Resale > 6109.15 LP-gas Cylinder Exchange for Resale
309.5 General Requirements, Refueling
and operations, including cylinder exchange for LP-gas-fueled vehicles, shall be in accordance with Chapter 57 for flammable and combustible liquids ...
2017 LA City Fire Code > 3 General Requirements > 309 Powered Industrial Trucks and Equipment > 309.5 Refueling
6109.1 Liquefied Petroleum Gases, General
points, and for resale by dealers or resellers shall comply with Sections 6109.2 through 6109.15.1. Exceptions: LP-gas containers that have ...
2017 LA City Fire Code > 61 Liquefied Petroleum Gases > 6109 Storage of Portable LP-gas Containers Awaiting Use or Resale > 6109.1 General
6109.5 Liquefied Petroleum Gases, Quantity
Empty LP-gas containers that have been in LP-gas service shall be considered as full containers for the purpose of determining the maximum quantities ...
2017 LA City Fire Code > 61 Liquefied Petroleum Gases > 6109 Storage of Portable LP-gas Containers Awaiting Use or Resale > 6109.5 Quantity
6109.10 Liquefied Petroleum Gases, Storage Within Buildings Not Accessible to the Public
a water capacity of 735 pounds (334 kg) [nominal 300 pounds (136 kg) of LP-gas]. Where additional storage locations are required on the same floor within ...
2017 LA City Fire Code > 61 Liquefied Petroleum Gases > 6109 Storage of Portable LP-gas Containers Awaiting Use or Resale > 6109.10 Storage Within Buildings Not Accessible to the Public