Upon receipt of a complete application, a public hearing on the application shall be conducted by the board of building standards. An authorized representative of the municipality, township, or county seeking certification may be present at the public hearing to give testimony or respond to any questions from the board. The board shall give all interested persons appearing at such public hearing an opportunity to be heard and explain their positions. All persons desiring to be heard at the public hearing shall first be duly sworn or affirmed and a record of the proceeding shall be made by the board.
If the application is denied in whole or in part by the board of building standards, the appropriate official in municipalities, board of township trustees in townships, or the board of county commissioners in counties requesting certification shall be notified in writing of such denial and the reason therefore and to their rights of appeal pursuant to Sections 3781.10, 3781.101, and Chapter 119. of the Revised Code. The board of building standards upon review of the application shall certify a local board of building appeals if:
- The applicant political subdivision has a building department certified pursuant to division (E) of section 3781.10 of the Revised Code and that certification is not by contract with another political subdivision;
- The board is established pursuant to municipal charter, ordinance or resolution; and
- The board membership meets the requirements of Section 103.4.3.
The board of building standards upon review of the application shall certify a local board of building appeals per contact with another certified board if:
- Both political subdivisions have authorized the contractual arrangement by ordinance or resolution and the contract properly executed reflects that arrangement; and
- The political subdivision applying for the contract has a building department certified pursuant to Section 3781.10 of the Revised Code.
Exception: Building departments certified by contract with the county building department in accordance with Section 3781.10 of the Revised Code shall have the same board of appeals as that county.