// CODE SNIPPET
§27-2061 Lighting and Ventilation of Living Rooms in Old Law Tenements
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
a. Required windows. Every living room in an old law tenement shall either have a window opening:
(1) On a street; or
(2) On a yard at least four feet in depth; or
(3) On a court or shaft at least twenty square feet in area open to the sky without a roof or skylight; or
(4) Above the roof of an adjoining building; or it shall meet the requirements of the multiple dwelling law. In the event that a window opens above the roof of an adjoining building and the light and air from the adjoining lot is thereafter diminished in any way, the department may determine that such a room is a noncomplying room and require compliance with the requirements of the multiple dwelling law. For a room located on the top story, a ventilating skylight opening to the outer air may be substituted for a window. At least one-half of every required window shall open.
b. Dining space. A dining space shall have at least one window which:
(1) Opens on a street, yard or legal court, and
(2) Has an area not less than one-eighth the floor area of such dining space.
Related Code Sections
Article 6 Ventilation [PDF] (page 11)
in old-law tenements or converted dwellings shall be enclosed as follows: Any side of a duct exposed in a room or in a shaft shall be covered with one inch ...
Article 6 Ventilation [PDF] (page 2)
of the required window area shall be available as clear ventilating area. b. Minimum Dimensions of Rooms-Living rooms shall have a minimum clear width ...
Appendix A Selected Rules of the Department of Buildings [PDF] (page 44)
of Entrance Halls, Stair Halls and Public Halls in Old Law Tenements and Converted Dwellings. (a) Intent. The fire-retarding rules herewith set forth ...
Appendix A Selected Rules of the Department of Buildings [PDF] (page 47)
forth in these rules. §15-08 Fire-Retarding of Cellar Ceilings in Old Law Tenements and Converted Dwellings. (a) Intent. The fire-retarding rules herewith ...
310.1 General Regulations, Light and Ventilation
Washrooms and toilet rooms shall be illuminated and ventilated in accordance with the New York city building code and New York city mechanical code ...
NYC Plumbing Code 2008 > 3 General Regulations > 310 Washroom and Toilet Room Requirements > 310.1 Light and Ventilation