// CODE SNIPPET
409.1 Light Pollution Control
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Where this section is indicated to be applicable in Table 302.1, uplight, light trespass, and glare shall be limited for all exterior lighting equipment as described in Sections 409.2 and 409.3.
Exception: Lighting used for the following exterior applications is exempt where equipped with a control device independent of the control of the nonexempt lighting:
- Specialized signal, directional, and marker lighting associated with transportation.
- Advertising signage or directional signage.
- Lighting integral to equipment or instrumentation and installed by its manufacturer.
- Theatrical purposes, including performance, stage, film production, and video production.
- Athletic playing areas where lighting is equipped with hoods or louvers for glare control.
- Temporary lighting.
- Lighting for industrial production, material handling, transportation sites, and associated storage areas where lighting is equipped with hoods or louvers for glare control.
- Theme elements in theme and amusement parks.
- Roadway lighting required by governmental authorities.
- Lighting used to highlight features of public monuments and registered landmark structures.
- Lighting classified for and used in hazardous areas.
- Lighting for swimming pools and water features.
The lighting zone for the building site shall be determined from Table 409.1.1 unless otherwise specified by the jurisdiction.
[E] TABLE 409.1.1
[E] TABLE 409.1.1
EXTERIOR LIGHTING ZONES
|1||Developed areas of national parks, state parks,|
forest land and rural areas
|2||Areas predominantly consisting of residential|
zoning, neighborhood business districts, light
industrial with limited nighttime use and residential
mixed use areas
|3||All other areas|
|4||High-activity commercial districts in major|
metropolitan areas as designated by the local jurisdiction