3110F.4 Lifting Equipment: Winches and Cranes
Lifting equipment for oil service activities, other activities (if operation or failure could cause an oil release) or spill response, shall conform to the provisions in Sections 3110F.4.1 and 3110F.4.2.
Lifting equipment inspection and maintenance shall conform to ASME B30.4 [10.14], ASME B30.7 [10.15] and ASME HST-4 [10.16], as applicable. Inspections by qualified personnel shall be performed annually. Inspection and maintenance records shall be retained.
- Winches and ancillary equipment shall be suitable for a marine environment (N/E).
- Winches shall be provided with a fail-safe braking system, capable of holding the load under all conditions, including a power failure (N/E).
- Winches shall be fully reversible (N).
- Shock, transient and abnormal loads shall be considered when selecting winch systems (N).
- Winches shall have limit switches and automatic trip devices to prevent over-travel of the drum in either direction. Limit switches shall be tested, and demonstrated to function correctly under operating conditions without inducing undue tensions or slack in the winch cables (N/E).
- Under all operating conditions, there shall be at least two full turns of cable on grooved drums, and at least three full turns on ungrooved drums (N/E).
- Moving winch parts which present caught-in hazards to personnel shall be guarded (N/E).
- Winches shall have clearly identifiable and readily accessible stop controls (N/E).
- Cranes shall not be loaded in excess of the manufacturer's rating except during performance tests.
- Drums on load-hoisting equipment shall be equipped with positive holding devices.
- Under all operating conditions, there shall be at least two full turns of cable on grooved drums, and at least three full turns on ungrooved drums.
- Braking equipment shall be capable of stopping, lowering, and holding a load of at least the full test load.
- When not in use, crane booms shall be lowered to ground level or secured to a rest support against displacement by wind loads or other outside forces.
- Safety systems including devices that affect the safe lifting and handling, such as interlocks, limit switches, load/moment and overload indicators with shutdown capability [10.17], emergency stop switches, radius and locking indicators, shall be provided.