// CODE SNIPPET
404.1 Landscape Irrigation Systems
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Outdoor landscape irrigation systems shall be designed and installed to reduce potable water use by 50 percent from a calculated mid-summer baseline in accordance with Section 404.1.2 or, where permitted by State regulation or local ordinances, the system shall be supplied by municipal reclaimed water or with alternate onsite nonpotable water complying with Chapter 7.
Exceptions: Potable water is permitted to be used as follows:
Where in-ground irrigation systems are provided, the systems shall comply with all of the following:
- The design and installation of outdoor irrigation systems shall be under the supervision of an irrigation professional accredited or certified by an appropriate local or national body.
- Landscape irrigation systems shall not direct water onto building exterior surfaces, foundations or exterior paved surfaces. Systems shall not generate runoff.
- Where an irrigation control system is used, the system shall be one that regulates irrigation based on weather, climatological or soil moisture status data. The controller shall have integrated or separate sensors to suspend irrigation events during rainfall.
- Irrigation zones shall be based on plant water needs with plants of similar need grouped together. Turfgrass shall not be grouped with other plantings on the same zone.
- Microirrigation zones shall be equipped with pressure regulators that ensure zone pressure is not greater than 40 psi (275.8 kPa), filters, and flush end assemblies.
- Sprinklers shall:
- Have nozzles with matched precipitation rates.
- Be prohibited on landscape areas less than 4 feet (1230 mm) in any dimension.
- Be prohibited on slopes greater than 1 unit vertical to 4 units horizontal (25-percent slope).
Exception: Where the application rate of the sprinklers is less than or equal to 0.5 inches (12.7 mm) per hour.
- Be permitted for use on turfgrass and crop areas only excepting microsprays of a flow less than 45 gallons (170 liters) per hour.
- If of the pop-up configuration, pop-up to a height of not less than 4 inches (101 mm).
- Only be installed in zones composed exclusively of sprinklers and shall be designed to achieve a lower quarter distribution uniformity of not less than 0.65.
Related Code Sections
404.1 Site Development and Land Use, Landscape Irrigation Systems
Outdoor landscape irrigation systems shall be designed and installed to reduce potable water use by 50 percent from ...
Green Construction Code 2012 of Maryland > 4 Site Development and Land Use > 404 Landscape Irrigation and Outdoor Fountains > 404.1 Landscape Irrigation Systems
Chapter 14 Subsurface Landscape Irrigation Systems
Section 1402 Subsurface Landscape Irrigation Systems, System Design and Sizing
water collection piping is connected to subsurface landscape irrigation systems, gray water output shall be calculated according to the gallons-per-day ...
Plumbing Code 2018 of Maryland > 14 Subsurface Landscape Irrigation Systems > 1402 System Design and Sizing
1401.1 Subsurface Landscape Irrigation Systems, Scope
The provisions of this chapter shall govern the materials, design, construction and installation of subsurface landscape irrigation systems connected ...
Plumbing Code 2018 of Maryland > 14 Subsurface Landscape Irrigation Systems > 1401 General > 1401.1 Scope