Permanent ladders shall not serve as a part of the means of egress from occupied spaces within a building. Permanent ladders shall be constructed in accordance with Section 306.5 of the International Mechanical Code. Permanent ladders shall be permitted to provide access to the following areas:
- Spaces frequented only by personnel for maintenance, repair or monitoring of equipment.
- Nonoccupiable spaces accessed only by catwalks, crawl spaces, freight elevators or very narrow passageways.
- Raised areas used primarily for purposes of security, life safety or fire safety including, but not limited to, observation galleries, prison guard towers, fire towers or lifeguard stands.
- Elevated levels in Group U not open to the general public.
- Nonoccupied roofs that are not required to have stairway access in accordance with Section 1011.12.1.
- Where permitted to access equipment and appliances in accordance with Section 306.5 of the International Mechanical Code.