Where a pass through kitchen is provided, clearances shall comply with Section 11B-804.2.1. Where a U-shaped kitchen is provided, clearances shall comply with Section 11B-804.2.2.
Exception: Spaces that do not provide a cooktop or conventional range shall not be required to comply with Section 11B-804.2.
In pass through kitchens where counters, appliances or cabinets are on two opposing sides, or where counters, appliances or cabinets are opposite a parallel wall, clearance between all opposing base cabinets, counter tops, appliances, or walls within kitchen work areas shall be 40 inches (1016 mm) minimum. Pass through kitchens shall have two entries.
In U-shaped kitchens enclosed on three contiguous sides, clearance between all opposing base cabinets, counter tops, appliances, or walls within kitchen work areas shall be 60 inches (1524 mm) minimum.
A clear floor space complying with Section 11B-305 positioned for a forward approach shall be provided. The clear floor or ground space shall be centered on the kitchen work surface and shall provide knee and toe clearance complying with Section 11B-306.
Exception: Cabinetry shall be permitted under the kitchen work surface provided that all of the following conditions are met:
- the cabinetry can be removed without removal or replacement of the kitchen work surface;
- the finish floor extends under the cabinetry; and
- the walls behind and surrounding the cabinetry are finished.
The kitchen work surface shall be 34 inches (864 mm) maximum above the finish floor or ground.
Exception: A counter that is adjustable to provide a kitchen work surface at variable heights, 29 inches (737 mm) minimum and 36 inches (914 mm) maximum, shall be permitted.
All appliance controls shall comply with Section 11B-309.
- Appliance doors and door latching devices shall not be required to comply with Section 11B-309.4.
- Bottom-hinged appliance doors, when in the open position, shall not be required to comply with Section 11B-309.3.