Replacement air introduced directly into the exhaust hood cavity shall not be greater than 10 percent of the hood exhaust airflow rate. Conditioned supply air delivered to any space shall not exceed the greater of the following:
- The ventilation rate required to meet the space heating or cooling load.
- The hood exhaust flow minus the available transfer air from adjacent space where available transfer air is considered that portion of outdoor ventilation air not required to satisfy other exhaust needs, such as restrooms, and not required to maintain pressurization of adjacent spaces.
Where total kitchen hood exhaust airflow rate is greater than 5,000 cfm (2360 L/s), each hood shall be a factory-built commercial exhaust hood listed by a nationally recognized testing laboratory in compliance with UL 710. Each hood shall have a maximum exhaust rate as specified in Table C403.2.8 and shall comply with one of the following:
- Not less than 50 percent of all replacement air shall be transfer air that would otherwise be exhausted.
- Demand ventilation systems on not less than 75 percent of the exhaust air that are capable of not less than a 50-percent reduction in exhaust and replacement air system airflow rates, including controls necessary to modulate airflow in response to appliance operation and to maintain full capture and containment of smoke, effluent and combustion products during cooking and idle.
- Listed energy recovery devices with a sensible heat recovery effectiveness of not less than 40 percent on not less than 50 percent of the total exhaust airflow.
Where a single hood, or hood section, is installed over appliances with different duty ratings, the maximum allowable flow rate for the hood or hood section shall be based on the requirements for the highest appliance duty rating under the hood or hood section.
Exception: Where not less than 75 percent of all the replacement air is transfer air that would otherwise be exhausted
MAXIMUM NET EXHAUST FLOW RATE, CFM PER LINEAR FOOT OF HOOD LENGTH
|TYPE OF HOOD||LIGHT-DUTY|
|Double island (per side)||175||210||280||385|
For SI: 1 cfm = 0.4719 L/s; 1 foot = 305 mm.
NA = Not Allowed.