Key boxes provided for nonstandardized fire service elevator keys shall comply with Section 506.1 and all of the following:
- The key box shall be compatible with an existing rapid entry key box system in use in the jurisdiction and approved by the fire code official.
- The front cover shall be permanently labeled with the words “Fire Department Use Only—Elevator Keys.”
- The key box shall be mounted at each elevator bank at the lobby nearest to the lowest level of fire department access.
- The key box shall be mounted 5 feet 6 inches (1676 mm) above the finished floor to the right side of the elevator bank.
- Contents of the key box are limited to fire service elevator keys. Additional elevator access tools, keys and information pertinent to emergency planning or elevator access shall be permitted where authorized by the fire code official.
- In buildings with two or more elevator banks, a single key box shall be permitted to be used where such elevator banks are separated by not more than 30 feet (9144 mm). Additional key boxes shall be provided for each individual elevator or elevator bank separated by more than 30 feet (9144 mm).
Exception: A single key box shall be permitted to be located adjacent to a fire command center or the nonstandard fire service elevator key shall be permitted to be secured in a key box used for other purposes and located in accordance with Section 506.1.