506.3.2 Joints, Seams and Penetrations of Grease Ducts
- Penetrations shall not be required to be welded or brazed where sealed by devices that are listed for the application.
- Internal welding or brazing shall not be prohibited provided that the joint is formed or ground smooth and is provided with ready access for inspection.
- Factory-built commercial kitchen grease ducts listed and labeled in accordance with UL 1978 and installed in accordance with Section 304.1.
- A vertical duct-to-hood collar connection made in the top plane of the hood in accordance with all of the following:
- The hood duct opening shall have a 1-inch-deep (25 mm), full perimeter, welded flange turned down into the hood interior at an angle of 90 degrees (1.57 rad) from the plane of the opening.
- The duct shall have a 1-inch-deep (25 mm) flange made by a 1-inch by 1-inch (25 mm by 25 mm) angle iron welded to the full perimeter of the duct not less than 1 inch (25 mm) above the bottom end of the duct.
- A gasket rated for use at not less than 1,500°F (815°C) is installed between the duct flange and the top of the hood.
- The duct-to-hood joint shall be secured by stud bolts not less than 1/4 inch (6.4 mm) in diameter welded to the hood with a spacing not greater than 4 inches (102 mm) on center for the full perimeter of the opening. All bolts and nuts are to be secured with lockwashers.
- Listed and labeled duct-to-hood collar connections installed in accordance with Section 304.1.
Prior to the use or concealment of any portion of a grease duct system, a leakage test shall be performed. Ducts shall be considered to be concealed where installed in shafts or covered by coatings or wraps that prevent the ductwork from being visually inspected on all sides. The permit holder shall be responsible to provide the necessary equipment and perform the grease duct leakage test. A light test shall be performed to determine that all welded and brazed joints are liquid tight.
A light test shall be performed by passing a lamp having a power rating of not less than 100 watts through the entire section of ductwork to be tested. The lamp shall be open so as to emit light equally in all directions perpendicular to the duct walls. A test shall be performed for the entire duct system, including the hood-to-duct connection. The duct work shall be permitted to be tested in sections, provided that every joint is tested. For listed factory-built grease ducts, this test shall be limited to duct joints assembled in the field and shall exclude factory welds.