The number of jack and king studs installed on each side of a header shall comply with Table R603.7(1). King, jack and cripple studs shall be of the same dimension and thickness as the adjacent wall studs. Headers shall be connected to king studs in accordance with Table R603.7(2) and the following provisions:
- For box beam headers, one-half of the total number of required screws shall be applied to the header and one-half to the king stud by use of C-shaped or track member in accordance with Figure R603.6(1). The track or C-shaped sections shall extend the depth of the header minus 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) and shall have a minimum thickness not less than that of the wall studs.
- For back-to-back headers, one-half the total number of screws shall be applied to the header and one-half to the king stud by use of a minimum 2-inch by 2-inch (51 mm by 51 mm) clip angle in accordance with Figure R603.6(2). The clip angle shall extend the depth of the header minus 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) and shall have a minimum thickness not less than that of the wall studs. Jack and king studs shall be interconnected with structural sheathing in accordance with Figures R603.6(1) and R603.6(2).
TOTAL NUMBER OF JACK AND KING STUDS REQUIRED AT EACH END OF AN OPENING
|SIZE OF OPENING (feet-inches)||24-INCH O.C. STUD SPACING||16-INCH O.C. STUD SPACING|
|No. of jack studs||No. of king studs||No. of jack studs||No. of king studs|
|Up to 3'-6"||1||1||1||1|
|> 3'-6" to 5'-0"||1||2||1||2|
|> 5'-0" to 5'-6"||1||2||2||2|
|> 5'-6" to 8'-0"||1||2||2||2|
|> 8'-0" to 10'-6"||2||2||2||3|
|> 10'-6" to 12'-0"||2||2||3||3|
|> 12'-0" to 13'-0"||2||3||3||3|
|> 13'-0" to 14'-0"||2||3||3||4|
|> 14'-0" to 16'-0"||2||3||3||4|
|> 16'-0" to 18'-0"||3||3||4||4|
For SI: 1 inch = 25.4 mm, 1 foot = 304.8 mm.
HEADER TO KING STUD CONNECTION REQUIREMENTSa, b, c, d
|HEADER SPAN (feet)||ULTIMATE WIND SPEED (mph), EXPOSURE CATEGORY|
|110, Exposure Category C or less than 139, Exposure Category B||Less than 139, Exposure Category C|
|≤ 4'||4-No. 8 screws||6-No. 8 screws|
|> 4' to 8'||4-No. 8 screws||8-No. 8 screws|
|> 8' to 12'||6-No. 8 screws||10-No. 8 screws|
|> 12' to 16'||8-No. 8 screws||12-No. 8 screws|
For SI: 1 inch = 25.4 mm, 1 foot = 304.8 mm, 1 mile per hour = 0.447 m/s, 1 pound = 4.448 N.
- All screw sizes shown are minimum.
- For headers located on the first floor of a two-story building or the first or second floor of a three-story building, the total number of screws is permitted to be reduced by 2 screws, but the total number of screws shall not be less than four.
- For roof slopes of 6:12 or greater, the required number of screws shall be permitted to be reduced by half, but the total number of screws shall not be less than four.
- Screws can be replaced by an uplift connector that has a capacity of the number of screws multiplied by 164 pounds.