// CODE SNIPPET
404.1.2 Irrigation System Design and Installation
JUMP TO FULL CODE CHAPTER
Where in-ground irrigation systems are provided, the systems shall comply with all of the following:
- The design and installation of outdoor irrigation systems shall be under the supervision of an irrigation professional accredited or certified by an appropriate local or national body.
- Landscape irrigation systems shall not direct water onto building exterior surfaces, foundations or exterior paved surfaces. Systems shall not generate runoff.
- Where an irrigation control system is used, the system shall be one that regulates irrigation based on weather, climatological or soil moisture status data. The controller shall have integrated or separate sensors to suspend irrigation events during rainfall.
- Irrigation zones shall be based on plant water needs with plants of similar need grouped together. Turfgrass shall not be grouped with other plantings on the same zone.
- Microirrigation zones shall be equipped with pressure regulators that ensure zone pressure is not greater than 40 psi (275.8 kPa), filters, and flush end assemblies.
- Sprinklers shall:
- Have nozzles with matched precipitation rates.
- Be prohibited on landscape areas less than 4 feet (1230 mm) in any dimension.
- Be prohibited on slopes greater than 1 unit vertical to 4 units horizontal (25-percent slope).
Exception: Where the application rate of the sprinklers is less than or equal to 0.5 inches (12.7 mm) per hour.
- Be permitted for use on turfgrass and crop areas only excepting microsprays of a flow less than 45 gallons (170 liters) per hour.
- If of the pop-up configuration, pop-up to a height of not less than 4 inches (101 mm).
- Only be installed in zones composed exclusively of sprinklers and shall be designed to achieve a lower quarter distribution uniformity of not less than 0.65.
Related Code Sections
404.1.2 Site Development and Land Use, Irrigation System Design and Installation
Where in-ground irrigation systems are provided, the systems shall comply with all of the following: The design and installation of outdoor ...
Green Construction Code 2012 of Maryland > 4 Site Development and Land Use > 404 Landscape Irrigation and Outdoor Fountains > 404.1 Landscape Irrigation Systems > 404.1.2 Irrigation System Design and Installation
1401.1 Subsurface Landscape Irrigation Systems, Scope
The provisions of this chapter shall govern the materials, design, construction and installation of subsurface landscape irrigation systems connected ...
Plumbing Code 2018 of Maryland > 14 Subsurface Landscape Irrigation Systems > 1401 General > 1401.1 Scope
Section 1403 Subsurface Landscape Irrigation Systems, Installation
Absorption systems shall be installed in accordance with Sections 1403.1.1 through 1403.1.5 to provide landscape irrigation without surfacing ...