1224.28.4 Interventional Imaging
The procedure room shall meet the space, clearance, and storage requirements for the imaging equipment contained in the room and the following:
- A minimum clear dimension of 18 feet (5486 mm).
- The procedure room shall also be sized to allow a minimum clearance of 4 feet (1219 mm) on all sides of the procedure table.
Interventional and intraoperative magnetic resonance imaging (I-MRI) procedure rooms shall comply with Section 1224.28.5 Hybrid Operating Rooms.
A control room or area shall be provided.
- The control room or area shall be sized to accommodate the image-recording and viewing equipment.
- A shielded view window permitting direct observation of the patient from the control console shall be provided.
- The shielded control room shall be configured to prevent radiation exposure into occupied areas of the control room when ionizing radiation modalities are used.
- Where the procedure room requires positive (or negative) pressure, a door shall be provided between the control room and the procedure room or between the combined control room/procedure room and other adjacent space.
- Where control functions for ionizing radiation exposures take place in the procedure room, storage for personal radiation protection devices shall be provided.
A medication station shall be provided in compliance with the requirements in Section 1126.96.36.199.
A reading room for reviewing images shall be available for use by the interventional imaging suite.
Electronic equipment or enclosures large enough to contain x-ray transformers, power modules, and associated electronics and electrical gear shall be provided. Sharing of electronics equipment rooms by multiple procedure rooms is permitted.
A clean utility room shall be provided in accordance with the requirements in Section 1188.8.131.52.
A soiled workroom shall be provided in accordance with Section 1184.108.40.206.
A housekeeping room shall be provided in accordance with the requirements of Section 1224.4.15.