R322.214.171.124 Intermediate Temperature Sprinklers
Sprinklers shall have an intermediate temperature rating not less than 175°F (79°C) and not more than 225°F (107°C) where installed in the following locations:
- Directly under skylights, where the sprinkler is exposed to direct sunlight.
- In attics.
- In concealed spaces located directly beneath a roof.
- Within the distance to a heat source as specified in Table R3126.96.36.199.
LOCATIONS WHERE INTERMEDIATE TEMPERATURE SPRINKLERS ARE REQUIRED
|HEAT SOURCE||RANGE OF DISTANCE FROM HEAT SOURCE WITHIN WHICH INTERMEDIATE TEMPERATURE SPRINKLERS ARE REQUIREDa,b (inches)|
|Fireplace, side of open or recessed fireplace||12 to 36|
|Fireplace, front of recessed fireplace||36 to 60|
|Coal and wood burning stove||12 to 42|
|Kitchen range top||9 to 18|
|Oven||9 to 18|
|Vent connector or chimney connector||9 to 18|
|Heating duct, not insulated||9 to 18|
|Hot water pipe, not insulated||6 to 12|
|Side of ceiling or wall warm air register||12 to 24|
|Front of wall mounted warm air register||18 to 36|
|Water heater, furnace or boiler||3 to 6|
|Luminaire up to 250 watts||3 to 6|
|Luminaire 250 watts up to 499 watts||6 to 12|
For SI: 1 inch = 25.4 mm.
- Sprinklers shall not be located at distances less than the minimum table distance unless the sprinkler listing allows a lesser distance.
- Distances shall be measured in a straight line from the nearest edge of the heat source to the nearest edge of the sprinkler.