R311.2.1 Interior Passage
Where a dwelling unit has both a kitchen and a living or entertainment area on the same level as the egress door required by Section R311.2, an interior passage route shall be provided from such egress door to the kitchen and the living or entertainment area and to at least one bedroom and at least one bathroom containing a water closet, lavatory and bathtub or shower, where such rooms are provided on that same level. Any doors or cased openings along such interior passage route providing access to the areas identified above shall comply with the following.
- Cased openings shall provide a minimum 34-inch clear width.
- Where a door or cased opening, and its associated molding or trim, is at the end and facing the length of a hallway and the width of the hallway is not wide enough to accommodate such doors or cased openings.
- Closet doors or cased openings.
- Pantry door or cased openings.
- Bathrooms accessed directly from a bedroom that is not required to comply with this section.