Section 4.505 Interior Moisture Control
A capillary break shall be installed in compliance with at least one of the following:
- A 4-inch-thick (101.6 mm) base of 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) or larger clean aggregate shall be provided with a vapor retarder in direct contact with concrete and a concrete mix design, which will address bleeding, shrinkage, and curling, shall be used. For additional information, see American Concrete Institute, ACI 302.2R-06.
- Other equivalent methods approved by the enforcing agency.
- A slab design specified by a licensed design professional.
Building materials with visible signs of water damage shall not be installed. Wall and floor framing shall not be enclosed when the framing members exceed 19 percent moisture content. Moisture content shall be verified in compliance with the following:
- Moisture content shall be determined with either a probe-type or contact-type moisture meter. Equivalent moisture verification methods may be approved by the enforcing agency and shall satisfy requirements found in Section 101.8 of this code.
- Moisture readings shall be taken at a point 2 feet (610 mm) to 4 feet (1219 mm) from the grade stamped end of each piece to be verified.
- At least three random moisture readings shall be performed on wall and floor framing with documentation acceptable to the enforcing agency provided at the time of approval to enclose the wall and floor framing.
Insulation products which are visibly wet or have a high moisture content shall be replaced or allowed to dry prior to enclosure in wall or floor cavities. Wet-applied insulation products shall follow the manufacturers' drying recommendations prior to enclosure.